The Concert Hall of
the Robert Schumann House is the most eye-catching room in this internationally
renowned commemorative and research institute. This room is regularly
the venue for chamber concerts and public lectures/recitals. Besides
numerous in-house chamber concerts per season, the hall is also rented
out for events of all kinds. The spectrum encompasses ancient music,
jazz and salon music. Non-musicals events also enjoy the special ambience.
The International Robert Schumann Competitions for Piano and Voice,
the Junior Schumann Competition for Young Pianists and the Robert Schumann
Choral Competition, with their concerts and other events, are also
guests in this hall. Traditionally, the Robert Schumann Prize of the
City of Zwickau is presented here.
After much renovation, the hall now features underfloor heating, a
new floor covering and movable seating for up to 140 guests. The inner
courtyard, which adjoins the concert hall, has been fitted with a glass
roof and may now be used during intermissions and as additional exhibition
space. The courtyard may be reached from the concert hall via casement
windows. Along with two modern concert grand pianos by Steinway & Sons
(1991) and August Förster (1955) the historic keyboard instruments
from the museum are also used in concert settings: Clara Wieck's debut
grand piano by André Stein (circa 1825), a Bösendorfer
grand piano (circa 1870), a Physharmonika (circa 1825) and a table
piano by Rosenkranz (circa 1840).